Inspiring, I know.
So, back to the perks. CSA programs. Community Supported Agriculture. I get a big basket of fresh, organic produce** delivered to my doorstep every Wednesday afternoon. Nothing in the basket is grown outside a fifty-mile radius. It's cheaper than the grocery store (trust me, I've compared it with my last three-months worth of food receipts). And it tastes so much better.
As a result we have been trying a lot of new things. Fuyu persimmons always intimidated me (on those rare ocassions I actually saw them at the grocery store). Black grapes were always more expensive than red or green. Napa cabbage is something usually restricted to Asian cooking, a genre I never felt brave enough to try. Until now.
I told my mom that this is a dream come true for me. Is it possible to be jealous of oneself? Because I think I am.
**My philosophy on organics: When I was pregnant with Jack, I was able to taste the pesticides on apples. Since then, I can taste them on carrots, spinach, bell peppers, and plums/peaches/apricots. If the price is reasonable, I try and buy all of those organic. That happens maybe 50% of the time. I also loooove organic milk. It really does taste better. Now that Jack drinks maybe a glass a day, I rarely indulge, because it's usually costs at least a third more. For me, my choices regarding organic vs. conventional usually come down to taste. If you want more information on organic produce, specifically what has the highest pesticide residue, visit this page.
7 comments:
I am beyond jealous. Fresh, organic, local produce delivered straight to your door sounds like heaven. I love persimmons.
Nice produce! "Jealous of oneself." That is hilarious!! I made some sauerkraut today. We'll see how that goes in a few days or so.....
I want fod to come to my door!! How do i get into that? i got my pics back...want me to e-mail them to you? Are you coming out tomorrow night? My new addiction in Starbucks hot chocolate...so I will getting one tomorrow night! LATER Ohh I love site meter...I have someone from NY who looks at mine too....who could it be??
ok so i have a alot of miss spelled words in my last post...Im typing to fast...and i dont care! LATER
And that is why I love you, Molly.
Here's the web site: http://www.familyfarmfresh.com/
So I have something wonderful you can make with Napa cabbage. It's from the Pioneer Woman and it's a delicious salad! Be forewarned, though, it makes a TON! Here's the link: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/asian-noodle-salad.pdf
Also, here's the link to my version from my recipe website: http://cmillersrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/10/christinas-asian-noodle-salad.html It's fairly identical, I just tweaked it for some of our eating quirks. And I'd also say to leave out the purple cabbage. It looks beautiful, but doesn't stay on the fork or taste very good.
I'm jealous! That produce looks and sounds fantastic. We had a membership at a local farm over the summer where I'd go and pick up a big bag of farm-fresh produce every week. Needless to say, now that the cold weather has come and the farms out here shut down for the winter, I haven't been eating nearly as well. Wish I could have it available year-round like you have it out there.
Post a Comment