Friday, October 3, 2008

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker.


Every year it's the same. I turn the calendar page to October, and my soul fills with giddy delight.

I consider October the beginning of the holiday season. I start gaining weight in October. We watch the first of what I like to call the Charlie Brown Triad. October also brings sweatshirt weather. Butternut squash becomes acceptable to both the palate and the pocketbook. College football transitions into conference play. Baked goods often turn up on your doorstep. It officially becomes acceptable to pull out the courduroys, turtleneck sweaters, and leather boots.

This week Jack and I kicked of the season by making Kleenex ghosts--the extent of my crafting prowess, picking out a beauty of a pumpkin, checking out some ghoulish books from the library, and watching Linus learn that the fury of a woman scorned is nothing compared to the fury of a woman cheated out of tricks or treats.

Tonight I make butternut squash soup.

Happy October.

6 comments:

Christina said...

Amen on the getting fat... my pants this morning just didn't fit like they should. Enjoy that soup!

The Terrell Family said...

I remember that costume!! So cute. Laney's b-day is in October. You should probably get Jack in the happit of remembering now. For the future of course.

Anonymous said...

So what's Jack going to be this year?

Morgan said...

October is my very favoritist month!

Donna said...

I like fall too, even though I mourn the passing of summer, my favorite season. Butternut squash soup sounds sooo good right now.

The Sampietro's said...

And...it has been a tiny bit cooler!!! I dont about the turtle necks and sweaters quit yet! :( But, i am pumped I havent used my AC!