Thursday, October 16, 2008

I'm starting to think that I may be the rudest person on the planet.

Ring, ring.

Buffy: Hello?
Caller: May I speak to......Elizabeth Van...vander...Vanderrrgrrrrifffft Bally?
Buffy: No.

Click.

This is generally my M.O. when it comes to anyone calling to sell me something, ask me something, or warn me that I'm paying $9,000 too much on my car insurance. Sometimes I don't even give them a benefit of a "no" before terminating any chance they have of getting a word in.

I've never really felt bad about it, assuming it's just a regular part of their job.

At this point I've called around five hundred people canvassing for Proposition 8 (not caught up on our family's latest crusade? Look here and here.). So far ONE person has hung up on me.

You do the math. Actually, don't. I'll do it for you.

Here is a representative of the .2% rudest segment of the population:

10 comments:

Kent said...

Count me in on that .2%. And proud of it. Usually Mel does the old "Let me give you to my husband" so I can be the bad guy. So I put on my black mask and cape and do the dirty work. And then smile in smug self-satisfaction.

Morgan said...

Love the photo!

Becky said...

Buffy you crack me up! You have hung up on someone just like we all have! I love the pic!
Give the scrub a hug for me!

Anonymous said...

I think the pink really sets the tone.

S. Gibson said...

I hang up too. In fact, I don't even wait for them to say my name. If there is a slight pause after I answer the phone, click. Every once in awhile I get an innocent victim, but they usually call back. If you ever call me, speak quickly. :)

Anonymous said...

Whenever someone on the phone hesitate over the pronunciation of the last name, they're toast.

Donna said...

Okay, you totally look like Morgan's sister! Telemarketers, blah. We don't get many calls from them anymore, and when we do, I don't answer because of Caller ID. I LOVE Caller ID! If I do happen to pick up the phone and it's one of them, I pretend to be the babysitter and I say that I'm not home.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I think you should make that picture your profile picture on Facebook.

Just suggestin'.

Cicada said...

You know those deals that the cashiers try to sell you on when you make your purchase? Like, save ten percent by opening a credit card, or donate a dollar to a good cause, etc?

I was at one place where I was honestly asked about seven questions before I laughed in the girl's face and said, "Wow. Are you serious?? You know what? Just put me down for NO to anything else they're telling you you have to ask me. This is ridiculous."

So, you know. I'm rude too.

Greg Giauque said...

You're not rude. Rude is talking with them until they submit and actually agree that you do not need what they are selling. They aren't trained to deal with that. It's not in their script and it's very frustrating for them.