I'm not talking about McCain vs. Obama. I'm not talking about Wall Street, Iraq, drilling, or corruption. I'm not even referring to whether or not Al Franken should be allowed to step foot in the hallowed halls of the U.S. Capitol Building.
I'm talking about Proposition 8--the proposed amendment to California's constitution. "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California."
I was only vaguely aware of a similar vote in 2000. I wasn't a resident of California, and quite frankly never imagined this scenario coming to fruition. But eight years is a long time. Whereas Proposition 22 received 61% of the vote in 2000, recent polls show only 40% of likely voters support Proposition 8. That is a big, frightening shift.In June, the First Presidency released a statement urging church members to "do all [they] can," to support this amendment. I knew I would be one of those church members come August. I'll admit, this made me nervous.
I'm not particularly eloquent when it comes to articulating my thoughts, especially when dealing with polarizing subjects. I don't like being yelled at. I understand why this is such an emotionally charged topic, and I don't enjoy charging or being charged. I like my debates moderated by Jim Lehrer or confined to the op-ed pages of the WSJ. I was ready to do what was asked of me, but I was not thrilled.
I also had the wrong idea.
We have not been asked to spar with our neighbors. We have not been asked to forcibly impose our beliefs on others. We have been asked to donate our time and means to defend an institution that has stood in tact for millennia. What does this mean for me? It means I spend a few hours a week talking to people, whether door-to-door or over the telephone, and informing them about the proposition. Not once have I been asked to debate or "prove" my point. To those who tell me they disagree with the proposition, I thank them for their time and wish them a good day. I am not an official representative for the Church, but rather a volunteer with the "Yes on 8" campaign.
It is through participating in this campaign and listening to the counsel of local and general leaders that my testimony of this matter has grown firmer. This is more than just protecting marriage. This is protecting our children (see this for further commentary on this point). It is also protecting religion.
The opposition to this amendment who argue that this amendment is bigotry--or in other words, complete intolerance of homosexuals--are either woefully misinformed or deliberately misconstruing the strong, unequivocal statements set forth by the general leadership of the Church. The family is the fundamental unit of society. So many social ills have already come about because of the disintegration of this institution through increased divorce, abortion, unwed pregnancy, etc. The purpose of marriage is to procreate. If you define something else as marriage, something that by its very nature cannot possibly result in procreation, you have made a mockery of the institution. I quote Dallin H. Oaks:
"Suddenly we are faced with the claim that thousands of years of human experience should be set aside because we should not discriminate in relation to the institution of marriage. When that claim is made, the burden of proving that this step will not undo the wisdom and stability of millennia of experience lies on those who would make the change. Yet the question is asked and the matter is put forward as if those who believe in marriage between a man and a woman have the burden of proving that it should not be extended to some other set of conditions." (link)
Having played a part in this campaign, I can confidently state that this is not an attack on homosexuals. This topic has been addressed several times since we've been here, and we've had the opportunity to hear it in not only our ward, but also in Allan's brother's ward in Alameda County (i.e. Nancy Pelosi territory). I have not heard one bigoted comment. I have heard only total love and compassion for all of Heavenly Father's children along with a deep concern for the future of the family if this amendment fails.
Regardless of where you live and whether or not a similar proposition is on your ballot, please vote in the general election on November 4th. If you're not registered, there is still time.
8 comments:
Regardless of where you live...? Isn't it only in California?
That is to say regardless of where you live you should vote in this upcoming general election.
Thanks, Molly. I fixed it to make it clearer.
THIS is why I'm so glad you blog; a very well-written essay. I wish I knew more Californian's who could vote just so I could have them read this! (and vote for Prop 8, too)
Hard work but, so worth it! I know that if this does or doesn't pass I will still know I did my part. Plus we need to all realize that if this passes in Cali it'll pass in other states!
Very well said, Buffy.
I think it's great that you're participating in a very good cause like this. I'm sure it's making a positive difference. I hope Californians will make the right choice when it comes time to vote on this crucial issue.
Forty-four states have passed legislation making clear that marriage is between a man and a woman. More than half of those states, twenty-seven in all, have done so by constitutional amendments... (See LDS.org Newsroom for the fact check reference.) Arizona and Florida have similar State Constitution amendment votes this November. AZ has an interesting situation in that there was a ballot measure 2 years ago that failed. We don't have a State Supreme Court decision to content with. The legislature voted to put this initiative back on the ballot with language that is much simpler than the one that failed. We have a great opportunity to educate and invite people to vote for marriage.
Well said Buffy! Good luck in CA! The issue may not be as polarizing in AZ but we're working on securing a constitutional amendment over here too.
Greg and Amy
Post a Comment