Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ugh.

Blog burnout (blurgout).

The excuse of having just moved to another state is a little weak at this point. I only have two more boxes to unpack.--boxes of office supplies and old college papers. The excuse of being a mother to a toddler is also lame. I know plenty of people with far more children who manage to do a better job. And we all know my toddler is relatively self-sufficient--as long as I'm within shouting distance ("Buuuuuffy!!! Where's my Dumbo?!?!").

So here are my excuses. Organized for maximum effect.

1) I have two times more house to clean than before. And there's nothing that makes me crankier or makes my skin crawl more than a dirty--or even slightly messy--house. Two bathtubs. A yard. A playroom. A bigger refrigerator. More mirrors. Separate garbage and recycling. Alright...I'm beginning to reach. You get my point.

2) Allan gets home by six. Every night. Not eight o'clock, not nine, not ten. But six o'clock. I cannot tell you the joy this brings my happy little heart. Joy=Less time spent on the internet.

3) Whenever I am on the computer, I'm obessing and tinkering with our "real world" budget. Trying to figure out how much it costs to live in the real world--let alone such a money-sucking real world as California--takes time. Good thing I'm pretty good at obsessing over money. I'm especially good at reporting the cost per serving of the food I'm putting on the table ("Allan, are your sure you want another nectarine? That's fifty cents we could be putting towards a down-payment on a house...").

4) It's hot here. Really, really, really hot. While girlfriends across the country are starting to plan their transition from strappy sandals to kicky knee-high boots, I'm wondering if the permanent deodorant crust on my tee-shirts is noticeable to people standing arm's length away from me. I may have to buy new summer clothes--in September. Sitting around a heat-generating computer is among the last things I'm in the mood for when it's 104 degrees outside.

5) I have a new friend. She's cute. She has a pool. And a Thomas train table. Mom in pool. Jack at train table. Fantastic way to spend a 104 degree afternoon.

6) I spend a lot of time on the phone. Nothing about this move has been smooth. Nothing. For example, it took thirty-two minutes of talk time to figure out why Charter is charging us $57 a month for internet instead the agreed-upon $20 a month. Similar conversations have been had about every other day. No joke.

7) I have to prepare a weekly sunday school lesson for some pretty tough critics: twelve- and thirteen-year olds.

8) I'm at Costco. All the time.

9) There is no number nine.

10) I'm just out of ideas. There is nothing in my blogging-brain.

7 comments:

Christina said...

Does Jack seriously call you Buffy instead of Mom? That's hilarious!

buffyvandabailey said...

Occasionally. And when I reprimand him for it, he smiles mischievously.

The Sampietro's said...

love it! when are we going to play? nick and I still laugh at jacks little hand searching the counter for food. we thought that was just great!

Donna said...

I like your blog--I'm hooked! We don't know each other, but I do know your brother. I'm a friend of Morgan's from college and I remember how he used to talk about his sister Buffy. He and my husband Peter were roommates our senior year.
I was just playing around on the Internet and came across your blog from Morgan's. Anyway, nice to kind of meet you.
Congrats on getting all settled in with your move, despite the heat and other obstacles. Moving can be such a headache!

attack of The Mouse said...

I love it. You say it all so well. I remember those same feelings when we entered the "real world" I think I might just be coming out the shock of it all. Which is really bad because it has been 2 whole years later. Hang in there. Oh and about the heat - I'll trade you in a minute. We've had a six week summer. No one here will admit it, but I was wearing my jacket to mid July, and on the first day of Sept, my jacket came out. :) I am freezing. I would love to have heat for longer. I am dreading winter.

Becky said...

Buffy you crack me up! You have an amazing talent for blogging no matter when you do it. I especially loved the sweat crusted clothing comment because I feel the same way after standing out in the sun at football and soccer games. I ruin a lot of clothes in my job! I even deteriorated a few today at the BYU game! It was warm, even after the sun went behind the pressbox. Miss you guys immensely!

moosh in indy. said...

I am the 12 and 13 year old teacher too. Bring candy, they are easy to bribe. Nothing gets their attention like waving a Tootsie Pop in the air.