Ward cookbooks from 1980 are going to be selling like hotcakes!
This article brought to mind the subject of Depression and WWII-era cooking. I've always heard about the incredibly innovative ways home cooks worked around poverty and shortages. I decided to google some recipes. That is how I found this gem for "mock apple pie."
Ritz Mock Apple Pie
The classic pie, featuring Ritz crackers baked in a golden crust, is perfect for the holidays.
Pastry for two-crust 9-inch pie
36 RITZ Crackers, coarsely broken (about 1 3/4 cups crumbs)
1 3/4 cups water
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Grated peel of one lemon
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In case you didn't catch on, the Ritz crackers are the apples.
Yes, that is some very innovative cookery.

Apparently it was all the rage. I'm dying to know if anyone out there has ever tried this.
7 comments:
I don't know how you can mistake those two things as similar in taste.
This is a little worrisome to me... and I'm really glad you pointed out that the Ritz are the apples. I was reading through the ingredient list trying to figure it out. :)
Twinkies and marshmallow fluff sandwiches here we come!
Oh, wait, maybe high fructose corn syrup will be inflated in prices as well.
Hmmmmm, maybe humus and homemade salsa?
LOVED the pie recipe- I might have to sneak that and see if Travis notices any difference.
Oh wow. Now that is a unique recipe! I always admire the things they came up with to get by in those times. This one is quite a stretch!
Okay, that recipe makes my mouth dry up........
Hi Buffy! This is Lissi's mom - she sent me a link to your blog since I wanted to read more about Prop 8 from someone in California. This post made me laugh! I have not made this recipe but I tried it years ago and it DOES NOT resemble delicious homemade apple pie! It might taste more like the cheapest off-brand frozen apple pie that can be purchased. But who would want to eat that either? I am not a WWII era woman, but in the early 80s the recipe was floating around our student-rich, money-poor ward when Dave was in med school. Hard to believe it's resurfaced :)
I have made it and the kids liked it...yes, Sarah, even Brett. It is more of a fun thing to try and then tell them what it is-after they eat it. It is really quite amazing how it works, but it definitely is not real homemade apple pie.
Post a Comment