Anyone who comes to me for cooking/eating advice always hears the same thing. Be willing to spend a little more on quality home cooked meals because you'll save money in the long run. And always find ways to eat more fruits and veggies. You will learn to looooove them.
I do not claim to be an expert. Allan has asked me to "never make that again," and Jack snubs his nose at about 33% of what I put in front of him. But I do love to cook. And I know how my body feels when I really put some TLC into what we eat.
So why would I ever, ever stray?
Anyone who talked to me at any time during the months of July through September probably heard about my genius budget. Everything was categorized to the penny. In order to do all the things I want to do within the next five years, including buying a house and paying off our student loans, I was going to be the master of fiscal discipline. And if that meant trimming my monthly grocery budget by a third, so be it.
Ha!
I made it through August and September successfully. I stayed within bounds. Then October hit. Nineteen cents per pound watermelons disappeared. The price of fresh green beans and zucchini doubled overnight. If I had to cook another chicken leg quarter again I was going to throw up. Ground beef--I still abhor it, even after two months of trying to make it palatable. Our diets were seriously lacking in variety. I'd gone from eating about nine servings of fruits and vegetables a day to three--if I was lucky. I was tired, cranky, and one night decided that going to McDonald's sounded infinitely better than the sixty-cent per serving meal I'd cooked up.
I missed eating well. I missed it so much I was depressed. I finally realized that wanting to shift $100 from savings to groceries every month isn't frivolous. It's our health, for crying out loud. And as silly as it sounds, it brings me so much happiness. I like to think of it as putting $100 into a health savings account of sorts.
This last week's trip to the grocery store was a joyous occasion. I loaded up on so much produce that I thought the checkout girl's eyes were going to pop out of her head. Yams, spinach, beets, asparagus, apples, strawberries...I could go on. And on.
Today at lunch when I pulled out an avocado, Jack shouted with the enthusiasm that only a two-year-old can muster, "CAN I HAVE THIS ONE!??!"
My dear, sweet boy. I'm so sorry you've been deprived these past two months. I will never do it again.
Here is some seasonal vegetable love. This is called "vegetable candy" in our house.
Autumn Vegetable Medley
- 1 (9-ounce) fennel bulb with stalks
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups (1-inch-thick) slices parsnip
- 1 1/2 cups (1-inch-thick) slices carrot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash freshly grated nutmeg
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 425°.
Trim tough outer leaves from fennel. Cut fennel bulb in half lengthwise; discard core. Cut each half into three wedges. Combine fennel, squash, and next 7 ingredients (through nutmeg) in a large shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle vegetable mixture with cheese, if desired.
9 comments:
I'm terrible when it comes to cooking. I'm very envious of your excitement for it. Way to be.
If you need some rosemary come on over! Sorry about sat. we wanted to invite you guys over for dinner but, I was sneezing like crazy and Lucas had a fever. If you guys are ever coming into town again..call me. We want to have you guys over.
Buffy-
I wish we had you here to cook. One of the bad things about marital compatibility is that Dad and I are so alike neither of us likes to clean or cook. We're both reading or writing all the time. Last night for dinner we had scrambled eggs and apples. We're both on a diet. Boy is it grim around here (foodwise)!
Oh I feel your pain! At least it sounds like if you splurge you can come up with some decent stuff. We splurge and end up with off-season cardboard veggies stuffed with styrofoam and chalk.
And yeah, we've had to make some budgetary changes, too... for things like allowance, fun money, etc. We were going crazy!
Make sure to share more recipes...I think J would love this. It is hard being on a budget. I know that I am not good about squash, I am not a fan, but maybe I would like this.
I feel so ashamed! You are such a good, nutritious eater. Even when you say you weren't being as good, you still were. You've got high standards of nutrition that I need to adopt. I try to eat and cook well but I have so little will power when it comes to sweets. You've inspired me to make it a New Year's resolution to really start eating better, esp. fruits and vegetables. Good move on allocating an extra $100 on good food--totally worth it.
Do you get that fiscal planning and discipline from your brother? Does it run in your family? We were always amazed by Morgan's system of budgeting in college. He was so diligent and good about it!
You're making me feel bad. I'm lucky to get a single serving of veggies a day.
um don't ever ever move to Hawaii, the vegetable department is straight up depressing. $6 a pound for a red pepper, it makes me sick. Ugh and I still pay it because I can't not eat healthy right! Such a dilemma, I completely support your decision.
nasty butler, er, molly--Come visit us for a couple of days and I'll teach you everything I know.
molly sam--I do want some rosemary. And some chit-chat that's not over the phone while Jack is gnawing on my arm (true story).
mom--at least you had some fruit with those scrambled eggs. And were they Dad's scrambled eggs? If they were, I would have gladly eaten those for dinner.
C.--Come be my neighbor. There are plenty of businesses needing consulting around here, I'm sure.
jlb--I have to hold myself back from sharing recipes. I feel like this is becoming a food/politics/mommy blog. But I will share the best, I promise.
donna--don't feel ashamed. prior to marriage, my idea of 5 servings a day was opening a can of pineapple and putting about six tidbits on my cottage cheese. Allan almost broke up with me. And Morgan and I are somewhat cut from the same cloth with regards to money. I, however, have no where near the knowledge base he has. I call him a lot for advice.
adri--don't feel bad. See above.
Lindsey--Oh! You need to move away from that wretched place! Once you start feeding ms. adilay it will get pricier too. So frustrating.
Post a Comment