Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Giving you pumpkin love.

Things went better on the parenting front on Monday and Tuesday, but today not so much. Just yesterday I was telling a girlfriend how potty training was actually an overall easier experience than I had anticipated. Jack must have overheard me. Because as of late this morning he's waged a full-on rebellion. Against every suggestion/request/rebuke/endearment that comes out of my mouth.

I know I'll eventually emerge out of my puddle of frustrated tears, but today I'm seriously considering that the Lord is waiting to bless me with more babies until after we've conquered this stage. Because if I had it my way, I'd have a one year-old by now--which means I'd probably have to call that number that appears on the "Sometimes Parents Need a Timeout Too" billboards.

To show you that I have intentions to cease all of this whining, I'm extending a little bit of culinary love. The aforementioned pumpkin pancakes:

2 c all-purpose flour (sometimes I get all health-nutty and make it half whole-wheat)
3 T packed brown sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 3/4 c milk
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 c canned pumpkin
1/4 c cooking oil

1. In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients. In second bowl combine wet ingredients (i.e. all that remains). Add wet to dry and stir until slightly lumpy (does anyone else secretly love these floury lumps as much as I do?).
2. Cook on lightly greased griddle, 1/4 c. at a time. And I think you know how to do the rest from here.

If you have toddlers at home, I give you permission to make yourself a batch, and spread peanut butter on them before drowning them in syrup. It will do your soul great good.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Jack is in rebellion. Maybe he'll get it out of his system now and be ever obedient the rest of his life.

I like the new blog layout except for one thing: No Jack quotes.

MB said...

I'm sure you'll be blessed with more babies. So many babies you will wonder what you wished for. In the meantime, good luck with potty training. I have no advice for you. None. I'm fully trained.

Also, I love the new layout. Super darling!

attack of The Mouse said...

No great advice here on potty training since, we are still working on it and we are 4 almost 41/2. I've learned to never say, "we are potty trained", because it doesn't matter how far away she is, she regresses instantly.
Don't worry, J. sounds completly normal. I am a firm beleiver that it is torture for child and parent alike to only have one child. Trust me I've been there. You wonder if your giving too much attention, not enough, not strict enough (because you don't have to be with just one) or too strict. It truley is depressing. Not trying to depress you, just trying to let you know I understand. If I had it my way, we would be on child #5 right now, instead of #2. If that were the case I too would probally be calling that help number too.

Rebecca said...

I'm so excited about the recipe, thanks for that. next we are struggling with the whole potty nightmare too so I hear you when you say the ...puddle of tears.

Jenny said...

Potty training is getting the best of me too! Samantha wants nothing to do with it. Good luck!

Christina said...

Love the blog look! Also love the thought of making pumpkin pancakes. I have recipes for like 500 million pumpkin things and I think I maybe make one per year. Maybe the pancakes will be this year...

The Terrell Family said...

We're doing pumpkin chocolate chip muffins today. Try not to stress out about potty training too much (easy for me to say-we're not even starting Lucas for awhile). It'll happen. Babies - they'll happen too.

Donna said...

That looks like a really good recipe for pumpkin pancakes. I'll have to give it a try.

I like the new look of your blog. I actually got your mom's new book in the mail just yesterday! I haven't read her books before but I've been meaning to ever since Morgan told me what she did.

My son is over 3-1/2 and IS STILL NOT POTTY-TRAINED. Aaaargh! He and I had a little battle over this about an hour ago. I understand how frustrating it can be because I've been going through it for nearly a year now!

Irish Cream said...

OK, I'm so sorry about the crazy weekend, and the temper tantrums.

I remember when Zoë was finally potty trained, I thought to myself, "NOW! I'm a real Mom!"

Boy, was I delusional! Zoë made potty training look like falling down. And, I hear boys are even more challenging and much harder to train. But, it's well worth the outcome!

I don't think a child is fully potty-trained until, hmmmm, well, the jury is still out on that...