Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The fact that I like arugula does not make me a Liberal.

I've had a seriously full schedule these past few days: 48-hour case of stomach flu, weekend in Oakland for niece's baptism/visit with in-laws, re-stocking a depressingly empty refrigerator and pantry, taking car in for the previously mentioned $650 repair only to be told it would now be a $1200 repair. Therefore, quality internet time has been lacking. And since my head is full of useless thoughts such as "is it really necessary to have a working air conditioner in our car?" or "Wow, the price of gas has gone down, but the price of cottage cheese sure hasn't!" I don't have anything with which to dazzle you--except the fact that the other day I literally wanted to munch on my child. Don't believe me? Just get sick for two days, let him watch Sponge Bob Square Pants in his underwear for obscene amounts of time, and then see him come in to your bedroom where you're writhing in gastrointestinal discomfort, plant a big wet kiss on your forehead and ask, "Are you unsick yet, Mom?"

That doesn't make you want to munch on my child?.......Hmm.

How about munching on arugula then?


Yeah, that picture probably isn't going to do much for you. My camera is incapable of taking tasty pictures. Or perhaps I'm the one lacking, but either way, I promise you this was good. I feared it would fall into the "too girly" category (along with Kneaders and focaccia) for Allan, but he really enjoyed it. So much, in fact, that I'm making it for his office Christmas party this weekend.


Dark leafy greens, with romaine and spinach being the exception, intimidated me for a long time--mostly because I'm shy and don't like asking people for directions in the produce section. Then I discovered the wonderful world of CSA programs and started getting bunches in my weekly basket. We're talking swiss chard, curly endive, bok choy, kale, and of course, arugula. Nothing shakes up your weekly menu planning like mounds of leafy greens.


Arugula is pretty similar to spinach (in fact it works as a substitute in this recipe if you, like me, clam up in front of the produce man), but has a more peppery flavor and stiffer texture. It's pretty punchy for a green, and I love it. Oh, and this recipe also highlights my favorite herb, sage, and my favorite starchy vegetable of all time: the butternut squash.


Stop making fun of me. Right now.

Pasta Salad with Walnut-Sage Pesto
From Cooking Light (again, you need this magazine)

2 1/2 c cubed, peeled butternut squash**
3/4 t salt, divided
1/2 c fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (use fresh, it's important in a pesto)
2 1/2 T chopped walnuts
2 T fresh sage leaves (see parsley, above)
2 T fresh lemon juice (see parsley, above)
2 T olive oil
1 garlic clove
1/3 c chicken broth
3 c cooked pasta (think chunky shapes--penne, bowtie, cavatappi)
4 c torn arugula
1/4 c thinly sliced shallots (hint: they look like baby red onions, use red onion as a substitute)
1/2 t ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 450.

Arrange squash in single layer on a sprayed jelly roll pan. Lightly coat squash with cooking spray and sprinkle evenly with 1/4 t of salt. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.

Combine 1/4 t of salt, parsley, and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in a food processor; process until finely chopped, scraping sides. With processor on, slowly pour broth through food chute, processing until well blended.

Combine remaining 1/4 t salt, squash, pasta, and pesto in a large bowl, and toss well. Add arugula, shallots, and pepper; toss to combine. Serve immediately.

**Unless you have the sharpest knife known to man, incredible hand strength, and an extra hour, do yourself a favor and buy this already cubed. Available at Costco, in the refrigerated produce section.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wish I understood what you were talking about.

And you have wonderful photography skills.

buffyvandabailey said...

Just come visit and I'll teach you everything that I talk about.

Sarah Bailey said...

Wow. Your baking sheet is so shiny. Salad looks great! Yes, we too decided that heat/air is a luxury for Big Red this winter - at least not for $250! However, we may change our mind come June :)

Why do they ALWAYS tell you the real price later?! No fun.

Donna said...

I like the new look of your blog. I hope you're feeling better and that your salad is a hit at the party this weekend!

The Terrell Family said...

That's kind of funny. I was just looking at this recipe in my C.L. cookbook and thinking it looked really good. Guess it is. Maybe I'll have to try it.

Christina said...

Seeing as how I don't actually like arugula, how do you think this would work with spinach?

Jen said...

I was starting to wonder what strength and patience you have to cut your squash in such equally perfect cubes! Love the tips and will be sure to try it!