Then Thanksgiving 2005 came around and changed my life. I had my first taste of my cousin-in-law's mother-in-law's cranberry chutney (did you catch that?). Sweet, but still tart enough. Warm and spicy flavors. Cozy texture. Perfect with turkey and ham. Perfect on a roll. And straight off a spoon. Or fingers.
It is now the third year in a row that I have made this for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.
I've never met my cousin-in-law's mother-in-law. I have only seen her on television. You likely have too. She is the Concertmaster of the Symphony on Temple Square (i.e. the first of the first violinists). Make this over the weekend. That way when you cozy up with your family to watch "Christmas with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir" on PBS you can share in my yearly tradition of saying to the television, "Thank you, Meredith. Your cranberry chutney has changed my life."
Cranberry Chutney
2 c sugar
3 to 4 small oranges
4 c fresh cranberries
1 cup chopped, unpeeled apples
1/2 c golden raisins
1/4 to1/2 c chopped pecans
1 T vinegar
1/2 t cloves
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 c orange juice
Using a sharp knife cut the peel off the oranges (don't leave any of the white pith).
Combine all ingredients in pan
Heat to boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until cranberries
burst.
Cool.
Makes about 8 pints. That's a lot of chutney, even for me. However, the good news is that this freezes very well. You can also make this 2-3 days in advance and keep in your refrigerator.
2 comments:
I have to tell you that I love all the recipes. I haven't tried them yet, but hope to. I actually love cranberry sauce, so I'm sure that I'll love this too. Thad loathes it, but maybe he'll end up liking this like you.
BTW - I was going to email you and ask you for some good recipes using beans. I have a ton of beans, but I don't have a lot of recipes. I was pretty sure that you would have some good ones. :)
Umm do you think it would be good over cream cheese for a dip? love the santa post...nick and i have discussed this before...i totally play into it BIG TIME!
Post a Comment