Monday, December 29, 2008

Substantial substance.

I cannot find the list of resolutions I had made for myself this time last year, but I remember the big ones. Some were carried over from the ones I had made for myself in December 2006. For instance, have baby number two by year's end. Or permanently lose ten pounds. I'm going to continue the tradition of rolling those over into my 2009 resolutions. But now that I think about it, those two goals are pretty much mutually exclusive, no? 

One successful resolution from 2008 was to read one book of substantial substance a month (the repetition serves to emphasize just how serious I am about substance). Well, I was succesful for the first four months. Then the craziness that tends to accompany big life changes happened. From April on I was lucky to read one book of non-substance every three months. I label the resolution a success, however, because the first four months were so enjoyable--and I discovered a new favorite book. Middlemarch. Not for the faint of heart (or eyesight), but oh. my. gosh.  Upon rememberance of this absolutely stunning tome my heart swells, tears spring to my eyes, my knees get weak....and having run out of cliches to spout, I will just give it my highest recommendation ever. 

So my list for 2009 begins. Thus far it includes a reread of both Odyssey and Iliad (only because I know it will be good for me), Don Quixote (again, it will be good for me, right?), and a big, fat Dickens novel (because the older I get the more I love his movies--errr, I mean his novels). 

Help?

4 comments:

Christina said...

Portrait of a Lady, anything by Thomas Friedman or David McCullough, The Chosen and The Promise, East of Eden, Travels with Charley, oh I could go on and on...

Irish Cream said...

Glass Castles
Devil and the White City

I think you might have these both tucked away somewhere...

I tried, and tried and tried to read Middlemarch. I might try to pick it up again this coming year. I got about 300 pages into it, and I still couldn't get into the groove or enjoy it all that much.

I'm also going to read "All the Presidents Men", but I can't say if I can recommend it yet or not. I'll let you know.

Irish Cream said...

Oops. It's called "All the King's Men". Sorry.

Anonymous said...

What about something by that GG Vandagriff? I hear she's pretty good.