Anyone who has spent an extended period of time in our home knows that I have mealtime down to a science. I am rather obsessive compulsive about it actually--gives me a sense of control in this....[insert latest hackneyed phrase describing our current state of existence here]. That being said, however, lunchtime is sometimes a bit stressful for me. I always eat a big salad. For Jack, however, despite his love for beets, edamame, and other strange things, a big bowl of raw spinach does is not a gastronomic delight. This means I have to make two separate lunches around 11:30 am every day.
When I'm not making up a quesedilla or leftovers, I often go with the classic PB&J. However, despite putting it on the nuttiest, most fibrous bread available, using unsweetened peanut butter, and opting for honey due to my aversion to HFCS and artificial sweeteners, I still cannot shake the guilt that I am feeding my child a sugar sandwich for lunch.
On Friday, while flipping through the book that launched a thousand hours of obsessing over how to train my child's palate, I came upon this recipe that I had dog-eared two years ago. Banana jam. Described as "A great alternative to jelly for sandwiches or maple syrup for pancakes." Score. I whipped it up and Jack gobbled up his PB&BJ like I had just handed him an ice cream sandwich. Sprinkled with Swedish Fish.
Banana Jam
Makes 1 cup
1/2 c pureed ripe banana
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 c cottage cheese*
Blend it all. If necessary, thin the mixture with a little extra yogurt/cheese. For sandwiches, add less yogurt (or only use cottage cheese) for a thicker consistency.
*I used mostly cottage cheese, but also a bit of plain, unsweetened yogurt. Don't ask me why. I just felt like it.
From Eat, Play, and Be Healthy by W. Allan Walker, M.D. 2005.
7 comments:
You are such a good MOM! I think if you were feeding Dad and Me we'd both look very svelte.
I'm going to give that recipe a try. My son loves bananas. He gets PB&J most days for lunch, but I don't feel the same guilt as you feel over it. I'm not nearly as good about food as you are. But I wish I were!
I would pay a lot of money to get my Ella to be a better eater. It is such a battle in our house! (And I fully take the blame.) Does this book suggest ways to take picky eaters and turn them in to Jacks? Do you have any other books/suggestions???
So I have a question... do you like it? Because I might want to make it for myself. I'm not a huge PB&J fan, but this might work for me.
Katherine--Hey!! The book doesn't discuss in detail how to help a picky eater, but it does mention that it can take up to ten exposures of a new food for kids to get used to it. He suggests offering the food multiple times, ask them to at least try it--consider even a few bites a success, and serving it in a familiar context--like part of a favorite dish or mixed in with a favorite sauce (we did this for a couple of months--broccoli with bbq sauce (gag) or cauliflower with ketchup (double gag)). Part of the reason I think Jack is so open is because I didn't stick to strictly "baby" foods/tastes when he started out on solids. I made all my own baby food, which meant it actually tasted like the vegetable/fruit from whence it came. I'd give him avocado all the time. He loved garbanzo beans. Edamame. And I wasn't shy about introducing him to more adult tastes right off the bat (e.g. curries, spicier stuff). He may just take after me though...I will try just about anything.
C.--To answer your question...I think it's pretty tasty. However, the texture just may be a turnoff for a lot of people when used on a sandwich. Next time I make it, I'm going to use even less cottage cheese and zero yogurt. Also, one cup is a ton--especially since banana doesn't keep well (this was okay the second day, but smelled awful the next morning). I'm going to halve it next time or at least use the bulk of it on a batch of pancakes.
I am certain Carl will like this in his lunch...(kind of like peanut butter and tomatoes).
Post a Comment