Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Lead me, guide me.

One cannot leave Jack alone unsupervised. Period. He is completely incapable of staying out of trouble. Eggshells crushed in the toilet. Lipstick and mascara smeared into the carpet. Chocolate syrup painted all over the refrigerator. These are only a few of the events that have transpired while I was taking a shower.

You think I would have learned my lesson by now.

All I wanted to do was dry my hair before it permanently settled into a unsightly tangled mess. I wanted to be alone. For five minutes. The Disney Channel would keep him occupied. After about the third minute of uninterrupted primping, my finely tuned Jack instinct alerted me to the fact that it was a little bit too quiet upstairs. I could only hear the Disney Channel.

I found him doing this:


Oh, but the picture doesn't even begin to do it justice. That is an entire shaker of salt dumped out onto the counter, poured into the dishwasher, and spread over one third of the kitchen floor. In order to clean up this disaster, Jack has taken it upon himself to spray some 409 all over the mess.

"Quick! Better clean up before Mom sees it!"

(I know, I know. What kind of mother of a kid like mine would be dumb enough to leave 409 out on the counter!?!?)

Given my knowledge of his checkered past, I felt largely to blame for the situation. So I refrained from being harsh. But then he wouldn't stay out of my way while I cleaned it up. Despite my warnings of dire, unpleasant consequences, he kept scuffing his feet on the salty floor, making an even bigger mess. So I grabbed him and put him in his room.

After doing my best to clean everything up, I went downstairs to let him out. I found him standing on a chair trying his hardest to yank a picture off the wall. The best part? He was singing "Lead me, guide me, walk 'side me. Help me (mumble, mumble) waaaaaaaaay."

You probably think my heart melted and I went over to hug him, right? Well, you're wrong. I laughed. I laughed because the doctrinal undercurrent of this whole experience was so strong.

Yes, Jack. You are a child of God, as made manifest by the fact that you are choosing to exercise your agency. To an alarming degree.


I feel like I need to talk to my doctor about my ever-increasing risk of developing hypertension.

13 comments:

Amy & Greg said...

That is so cute. And it is days like that and messes that are created like that that I am forever grateful for the incredible dust-buster that Greg bought me for my birthday. We have been thrilled to vacuum up Andrew's messes. Oh...I can't wait to see you guys!

JPI said...

I'm glad you guys are blogging. Keep it up.

Morgan said...

Best. Post. Ever.

buffyvandabailey said...

Morgan--I think Mom is about to ask us to move in with Allan's parents for the rest of the summer.

Jenny said...

Buffy I can't believe what a trouble maker your little guy can be. I think I would die if Sammy got into that much trouble while I showered. Maybe that is the difference between boys and girls.

The Terrell Family said...

Lucas is showing signs of "stinkerness." Is this what I have to look forward to?

moosh in indy. said...

Oh I miss that boy. Worse than I ever thought possible. You too of course :)

Sarah Bailey said...

Buffy I can't believe what a trouble maker your little guy can be. I think I would die if Luke got into that much trouble while I showered. Maybe that is the difference between ours and yours.

Brett

Sarah Bailey said...

By the way - this looks EXACTLY like Allan as a scrumptchen.

Christina said...

Oh, you make me laugh. In a good way.

attack of The Mouse said...

Oh, that is too funny. I can't help but remember the time that E. was 2 and everyone was having new babies. I remember thinking new babies are so sweet and lovely, and then I would look at my 2 year old and think, she is not sweet and lovely, instead she tests me and tries me. Sometimes, I want to trade, but the truth is, they are ours, and no matter how bad they are they are, they still are ours and somehow we still love them to pieces. Thanks for sharing. Plus, give those parents of new babies, 2 years and they will feel the same stinking way!!!!

Anonymous said...

Real clever post, Brett...copying word for word from someone else. Sheesh.

What I find remarkable (and Amy does this too, I believe) is the documentation of the crime. "Okay Jack, you stand there and look innocent while I snap a photo. Then you are in big trouble Black Jack Shelac!"

buffyvandabailey said...

I assure you that Black Jack Shelac was getting an extremely ineffective lecture from me while I was snapping the picture. It was something along the lines of "you have made a very bad choice...blah, blah, blah."

Is blogging already affecting my life to the point that it is disrupting effective teaching moments?