We all do it. You find a friend of a friend of a friend whose life seems absolutely fascinating to you. Their blog isn't really that special or anything. But they are special. They are hipper, cuter, and way more savvy than you. They travel to exotic destinations. They cook amazing food. They hang out with other beautiful bloggers. And they have absolutely perfect hair. You store the URL on your mental blog roll--because keeping it off of your real blog roll will make you less of a stalker--and check it nearly every day.
The odds of ever meeting this person are virtually nil. So it's not that creepy, right?
A year after discovering this cool person's blog you find yourself living in the same town for three months. Great! Now you can check out all the cool locales this person has so highly recommended.
Unbeknownst to you one of those locales is the gym where you signed your 90-day contract.
After finishing up a grueling set of assisted pull-ups, you hop off the machine, turn around, and find yourself face to face with this blogger. You inwardly freak out, turn bright red, and keep on walking. All while noticing that they look much cooler in their workout gear than you do in your Lungs for Life 5k t-shirt (a race you didn't even run) and 7 year-old stretchy pants with the bottoms cut off so as to make them capris.
Allan thinks I should have told them that I read their blog. I say not in a million billion years.
13 comments:
Keep on writing brilliant posts like these and you'll soon have blog-stalkers of your own! :-)
That's totally the way I am with Cassandra Barney, daughter of James Christensen. She's just...spectacular...
Definitely, definitely don't tell. One of my biggest fears is that I'll come face to face with someone I blog stalk and FORGET that I don't actually know them and start talking to them like we're friends or something. 'Cause I would do something stupid like that.
I have to know who you are talking about. I have an idea (at least of where the "friend of a friend" chain originated) and am dying to know if I am right. And don't worry - I'm sure you looked just fine after your assisted pull ups :)
I confess, I am totally a blog stalker. Maybe I would have more productive days if I spent less time blog stalking! Great post!
You did the right thing (sorry Allan). And I agree, the chances of you not looking fantastic are less than none.
That is hilarious! I would have to agree with Allan...except for the fact that I would've done exactly what you did! I hope you're having a good time in Utah.
Yeah. Don't tell her. Take it from me. Keep it to yourself. Especially at the gym.
morgan--you should think about writing posts on your own blog.
molly--Wow. You gave me a first and last name. I'll have to check it out.
c.--I would TOTALLY do something like that. Remember Cicada's run-in with her blog stalker?
lmj--It's a friend of the person you're thinking of. :-)
jenny--My New Year's resolution was this: "Spend less time reading blogs of people I don't know and more time e-mailing the people I do know." It obviously didn't last long. But I did have a pretty productive January.
jet--Even though we're facebook friends, I still feel so. far. away. from. you. Are you going to be in town this summer?
lindy--HI!!! I think it would be very flattering if someone mentioned they stalked me via my blog. And I think that's where Allan was coming from.
moosh--Speaking from personal experience???
SHUT UP!!!!!! I want to see this persons blog!!! E-mail me. That is so stinking funny. I SOOO blog stalk.
Buffy, you really should have talked to that cool blogger, because then they wouldn't think you were hiding the stalking. Don't you know that they have the tracker device on their blog that tells them who has been on their blog, how often and for how long? Then all they had to do was google you and up comes your blog. Sorry, but there are no secrets in the blogger world. Didn't you notice their expression of fear when you turned around? Or perhaps their showing up behind you in the gym was no "coincidence". Stalkers can be stalked.
Molly--I'll email you.
Sarah--It sounds like you may have some extensive experience either stalking or being stalked. Maybe both. I saw the person again on Friday. No frightened looks from either party. I kept my cool this time.
Oh, I am dying to find out who this is...and wanting to get on their blog so I can see what is so great about it.
Post a Comment