Or at least he did.
I asked him to look handsome, and this is what he gave me.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
The story is not really all that dramatic. However, it is typically me.
He had been needing a hair cut for a few weeks. Normally I would make a forty-five minute drive on a Saturday morning to get his and Allan's hair cut at the salon we frequent (That's right. A salon. For my four year old). However, I'm tired of making that drive, I have a new baby, and I was beginning to see the absurdity of taking my son into a place with faux Roman busts and zebra-striped divans hoping that it would maximize his handsomeness. He would rather get his hair cut sitting in a replica of Lightning McQueen while watching Spongebob. Let your kid be a kid, I thought.
So I planned on a trip to the local Supercuts.
Then I saw our budget. We'd hit In-n-Out one too many times. I went to the ridiculously priced, albeit more aesthetically pleasing, grocery store two weeks in a row. Add that to an upcoming trip to Lego Land next week (SHHHH, DON'T TELL JACK!!!), mix it with my type-A-when-it-comes-to-finances personality and you'll understand why I did not want to pay $10 for someone to give my child a bad hair cut (Go ahead, make fun of me for ten measly dollars--I DARE YOU).
So I borrowed a friend's clippers and went to town. And now he looks like every other boy on the planet.
My friend commented that she was surprised I did it, because, in her words, "you are a family full of great hair."
We were a family full of great hair.
Inserting this photo serves two purposes: 1) It illustrates that Micah has a lot of catching up to do in the hair department. 2) It also shows what happens when Jack hears Mom and Dad repeatedly asking Micah to give them that highly-anticipated first smile--"Mom! If I hold his cheeks, he smiles!!!"
7 comments:
Lucas joined the "every other boy on the planet" club this spring. Although I'm a bit sad about it, I've learned to accept it. =) It may not be unique, but it's free! Plus we tried the salons with him, and, unlike his big sister, he was less than a fan.
You've heard the story about Dad(Carl) taking the boys to get haircuts, right? You'll have to ask Mom about her reaction, but from the way Travis tells it, the world came to an end, and Dad never got the boys haircuts again.
Didn't go for a Mohawk, huh? I think that would be closer to most every other boy on the planet.
I love Jack's thick hair, but I admire your courage and fortitude to save in anticipation for a fun event (LegoLand). Good for saving the money, and the new (lack-of-)do will offset the lined pants and sweatshirts he's wearing in the 100-degree heat!
OH, and too hilarious that Jack is helping Micah to smile!
See, I'll admit when I first saw the picture I thought of when Allan and I tried to give each other haircuts.
He's still a cutie and has a much better knowledge of Star Wars than all the other boys, so... :)
It makes him look so grown up!! I like the change! My boys grow their hair out in the winter...short in the summer!! Just remember hair ALWAYS grows back!
Talk to Allan about the haircuts at Hansen's one summer...
Ah, the story is finally out. It'll grow back. I had to laugh when I showed the picture to Andrew. He said, "Mommy, who's that?" He didn't even recognize his cousin. On the other hand, Ella just can't stop finding pictures of Jack throughout our house. She has a crush for sure!
Post a Comment