
In late 2007--having already waited a year for my order for Jack 2.0 to come through--I started furiously researching all of my symptoms/options/paranoia/etc. My doctors were baffled, but I thought for sure that enough clever Googling would lead me to my answer.
May 2008. The gluten-free diet part 1. It really wasn't that crazy of an idea. Unexplained infertility is not an uncommon side effect. As is lethargy. And hypothyroidism. And a bunch of other symptoms that I would rather not share. I hopped on the anti-gluten bandwagon and waited...for six months. Some symptoms changed--but so did my life. Two moves in six months, a huge transition from student life to the real world, and much personal growth. Then in November (conveniently on Thanksgiving), I decided to start eating gluten again to see if I noticed a difference. I didn't. So I partook freely, despite the nagging thought that maybe it really was a problem, and I was just giving in to my womanly appetites without regard for the existence of future children...or my health.
May 2009. The gluten-free diet part two. I couldn't handle the guilt anymore. So I went gluten-free again. Two months into it, I decided that I was just making myself crazy, so I spent a lot of money to get tested. The test I chose has a rather liberal range for testing gluten intolerance. According to the laboratory's guidelines, nearly one out of three people are gluten intolerant. I researched its legimitacy, felt good about it, and waited anxiously three weeks for the results. All while dreaming of the pound cake I would make if the test came back negative.
It was negative, and boy oh boy have I been celebrating. Homemade sourdough bread (though Allan was quick to point out that real sourdough does not contain whole wheat flour...phooey.). Pasta a couple nights a week. And cookies and cream ice cream--my absolute favorite (Breyer's All Natural). I think I need to scale back a bit. My waistline will surely start protesting any day now.
But now I'm back to square one. My new doctor doesn't have a clue how to diagnose me, and I have no more paranoid hypotheses to furiously investigate on the World Wide Web. Which means...I need a new hobby. Something new to Google.
How about Weight Watchers?
8 comments:
Hrmm...that's lame that you're back to square one. And I highly doubt you need weight watchers. Look up webcomics. Those are always fun.
Is your sourdough recipe good? Can I have it? The only one I have requires days and days of work.... which might be how all sourdough is, but I'm trying to avoid it if possible.
Oh, and I've been thinking about our conversation for the last day or two. I need to email you or call again or something.
C.--I did enjoy it. It was nothing like the sourdough you get at the store though. More like a very lightly soured whole wheat bread (well, half whole wheat). The starter has to sit at room temp for 36-48 hours, and the actual bread required an overnight sitting plus three rises. It wasn't a lot of hands-on time, but there were a lot of steps. BUT, once you make a starter, you can keep it going indefinitely in your fridge (I think you add flour and water to it once a week). So I'd say the hardest part is the first batch.
grrrr I know your pain, and it STINKS - the big one. I look back, and honestly that has been the number one HARDEST trial of my life so far. Not a trial for sissies, and you don't get it unless you've been there.
So glad to hear you're not a celiac - and am really wanting sourdough bread all of the sudden: )! - but sad to hear that you don't have any answers again. Hopefully something comes to light soon.
Buffy, I appreciate your humor in the midst of the frustration. Come one, little baby, come on! You can do it!
Almost four years with no babies here either. Frustration doesn't even begin to encompass the feeling.
But at least all the carblicious emotional eating is an option.
Right?
Post a Comment