Saturday, May 30, 2009

Strange weekend.

This weekend Jack participated in his first fathers and sons campout. From the reports I hear, 'twas an overwhelming success. When asked if he liked camping, Jack responded, "I LOOOOVE camping!!" In keeping with the tradition of fathers and sons campouts, it rained...despite the fact that we are at the beginning of the dry season  in one of the driest parts of the United States. Go figure.

Since I have no daughters, I stayed at home. All by myself. This was actually my second night in a row all by myself. So, what does a girl do in such a situation? Pull out the Breyers and sit down in front of a Sandra Bullock movie? Settle down with a hefty tome? Go to bed at 7pm?

None of the above.

I ordered $1100 in food storage and related supplies. The task that has been hanging over my head for SIX years can finally be checked off. I've been researching for months now--trying to find good web sites where I can get long-term supplies that I will actually rotate through (e.g. brown rice, steel cut oats, whole wheat pasta, a large variety of beans) and deciding how much of what stuff I need. The problem was finding prices that didn't make me feel guilty for not going to the cannery to pay less for supplies that I was less excited about and much less likely to use.

On Thursday night I found Walton Feed*.Seriously great prices on harder-to-find long term food storage. I plan on putting in another order in about six months for the less "absolutely essential" items, like dried fruits and freeze-dried vegetables once I do some more thinking, planning, and daydreaming. As my mom told me just the other day, there's nothing better to spend your money on than food. 

Wow. I so obviously came from her womb.

What may appear to be the lamest way to spend a Friday night ever was so much fun for me. Because not only do I feel such a weight off my shoulders for finally getting this done (I had tried the "gradually accumulate your storage" method on and off for the last two years and it obviously did not work for me) but I was also able to indulge in my nerdy and slightly embarassing gastronomical leanings. Not much more makes me smile than the thought of, among other things, 200 pounds of dried legumes (garbanzos! black! navy! adzukis!) being delivered to my door step in approximately twelve days.  

Wrapping up what may be the most unfocused blog post ever, I will report that despite having the opportunity to sleep in as late as I wanted this morning, I couldn't make it past 6:14AM. So I got up and pruned a shrub. 

*Some of the things I'm less excited about, but still need for a good, realistic supply (i.e. white flour, white flour, sugar, and pinto beans) are still cheaper at Costco. Those will be picked up today. 




5 comments:

Christina said...

You have got to be kidding me! I've been by myself for the last two nights (what are the odds? it's only twice a year I'm home alone) and I've been dealing with our budget(both current and post-baby), quilting like crazy, cleaning, running multiple errands and all-around enjoying my weekend... we're so meant to be friends.

Christina said...

Oh yeah, and I woke up at 5:49 this morning, so I figured, why not? I started my day by doing a load of dishes.

G.G. Vandagriff said...

That's my daughter. Go for the food. It may be that way because at the time she was born, the only vegetable in our fridge was beet greens from our garden. She's probably been feeling a repressed sense of panic ever since. Good for you, Buff. When you're visiting I should have my royalties check and you can help me inventory and do the same thing!

Donna said...

It sounds like we're similar when it comes to the whole food storage thing. We started using Walton Feed two years ago and it's the only reason we have food storage right now! Their food is really good and we actually use it when we need to.
When I find myself alone I usually like to try to get things done too. It's a form of stress-relief!

Amy & Greg said...

I am so jealous that you got that done. Maybe one day. Soon...really soon.

Andrew loved Fathers and Sons, too. He still talks about going camping with his dad. He wants to go again.