I ABSOLUTELY LOOOOOAAAAATHE BAKING.
Hate it, hate it, hate it.
I'm about one-thirds of the way through making spring-themed sugar cookies for our quarterly primary activity that starts at 10 am tomorrow morning. Oh. my. gosh. I have been near-cursing my way through the last three hours. I have yelled at Jack three times. He has watched three episodes of The Backyardigans (not now--I'm NOT blogging while he's watching t.v.). My kitchen is a ginormous mess, and the cookies are ugly, ugly, ugly (and not to mention gross due to the the blueberry, watermelon, and green apple flavored sugar crystals decorating them).
I hate the messy kitchen. I hate the fact that I eat a dozen cookies worth in dough before they even hit the baking sheets. And I hate the fact my kitchen is eighty-one degrees which gives me a two minute window to get the cookies shaped and onto the pan before the dough becomes impossible to handle.
Oh, and I forgot to grease the last sheet, which means some of the flowers have been deflowered.
Unfortunate, really.
Jack, however, is enjoying some extremely grotesquely decorated easter egg cookies. I'm pretty sure that's dinner, because I am NOT making anything else tonight.
The best part about all of this? I don't feel guilty. I've tried my hand at baking many, many times, but it's just not for me. From now on, I vow to never make another dessert, but to buy it instead (okay, maybe never again is a bit unrealistic...but this girl is putting away her bakeware for at least six months). It's quite liberating actually.
By the way, I think eating sugar makes me angry...
3 comments:
I love baking, but I have to say I am with you in terms of baking while hot outside, baking cookies (they take forever and all you have is a bunch of cookies! much the same way I feel about chopping for salads) and especially decorating things! Ick!
I actually really enjoy baking. BUT ONLY IF IT TURNS OUT.
Personally, I really hate baking sugar cookies. The mess is unpardonable (flour everywhere, sprinkles and beads and frosting scattered and smeared- and it's worse when you let kids help!). I have only found ONE sugar cookie recipe that is remotely considerable to be worth the mess. But, I make it maybe once a year.
I think you're picking the wrong things to "bake". I've tasted some of the savory things you've "baked"- breads, roasts, etc. You're really good at that!
But please, avoid the baking if it is not good for your sanity. You do so many other things- and besides, you're in an enviable position. Everybody loves to bring desserts to a dinner party. You won't even have to buy anything- just ask somebody else to make the dessert!
I have to agree with you. Baking for me has to be on a rainy afternoon with nothing else to do. Even then I don't really want any of us eating much of it - I usually end up eating the most and then that makes ME angry :) I would much rather spend time on a meal. The other thing with baking is that I want it to look just so, but my helpers also want it to look just so and I lose patience with trying to make beautiful things. I'm always impressed with other people's skills in this area. I'm impressed with your love of cooking period.
Post a Comment