Saturday, August 23, 2008

Ag Land.

I remember our first trip to the grocery store after moving to Indianapolis. I usually base my entire opinion of a grocery store based on their produce section. Calling this particular produce section a produce section was a complete insult to produce sections. Flies were swarming the grapes. The tomatoes were bruised. And there was sticky something all over the floor. And to add insult to my easily injured palate, the prices were ridiculous.

I'm serious about my fruits and vegetables.

About a month after my dreams of cheap, bounteous Indiana harvests were crushed, the WSJ reported on a study about regional childhood obesity rates and their direct correlation with the price of produce. I showed Allan the article, pointed to the name of the town with the lowest produce prices, and jokingly said "Let's move there!"

Funny thing happened. We actually did move there.


The circumstances that brought us here had little to do with the price of fruits and vegetables, I heartily assure you. But that doesn't mean I won't be making those corner fruit stands and Friday night farmer's markets a big part of my routine.

Mmmmm, raspberries.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope, BERRIES!!!
Miss you lots and lots.

buffyvandabailey said...

Funny you say that, actually. We were at one of the booths, and Allan said, "Jack, would you like some raspberries? Or strawberries? Or blackberries?" And he replied, very forcefully, "NO. I want berries!!"

Becky said...

He looks VERY content! Fruit is one of the best parts of summer! I wish it wouldn't spoil so dang fast....that's my problem. Miss you guys!

Irish Cream said...

How many fruit stands have you hit up so far? Are you able to put money in a box or is there somebody tending them. I always found it fun to have just an honor system drop box for the money. Will you get to go BERRY picking?

You'll have to let me know what produce you're able to get in what season down there so I can drool... with envy.

buffyvandabailey said...

We've hit one fruit stand and one of the Saturday morning farmer's markets. Actually, Friday night markets seem to be huge around here. So maybe when the temperature decides to fall below triple digits at 6 o'clock in the evening, we'll check out the night markets.

So far there has always been someone tending the cash box (which I appreciate since I always need change). What I loved at the market yesterday is that you could sample a cluster of grapes or a slice of nectarine at some of the stands. SOLD!

I still think that South Bend's farmer's market is absolutely fantastic. It totally competes with what I've seen around here so far. So no need to be jealous. It's probably just the types of produce in each location that varies.

By the way, was it Travis who informed me that eating local honey helps combat allergies?

More of an e-mail than a comment.

Christina said...

Seething, absolutely seething with jealousy.

buffyvandabailey said...

Bet your not jealous about the smog. Or the brown, dead scenery. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wansome?