Tuesday, January 12, 2016

October 2015

 As far as I can recall, the entire month of October was dedicated to celebrating Halloween. And thus began the Trifecta of Overeating.

The kids all had Halloween parties to attend.  I remembered to take pictures at Nathan and Astrid's Halloween-themed playdate. Some people are really serious about how they plan their play dates (I'm not--I'm lucky if I have Goldfish crackers on hand). This particular friend involved a pony in the festivies. A pony named Don Diego. Astrid had no fear (likely because the friend leading the horse had a blonde bob. All my kids feel safer around blonde bobs.).




Nathan had great fear. The blonde bob couldn't do a thing. Then he saw his baby sister ride and pride got the better of him. Look how proud he is. Like General Washington going into battle. On a pony named Don Diego.


 On the 27th of October as I was readying for bed I saw it-- something my pride could not overcome: the annual bloody eye. Someone told me that the older she gets the more often she gets these dagum popped blood vessels. My only consolation was that this was at Halloween--not Christmas like the last two. They last at least a week, and this picture wasn't even taken on the worst day. Some people seriously thought it was something I did for effect. I avoided eye contact until November.

(Note the trustworthy blonde bob)


As usual our Very Favorite Preschool Teacher in The Entire World (incidentally, also my popped blood vessel friend) had a pumpkin patch trip. This is the smaller patch just down the road. It's full of all sorts of dangerous equipment. How they haven't been sued yet is beyond me. Here are Carter and Nathan on the mild merry-go-round (This documents the two minutes of the trip where I could actually draw breath).


A few days later, I took Eli, Nathan, and Astrid to meet Katie, Carter, and Future Husband Decker at the bigger, better pumpkin patch in Visalia.






Then we met more friends at Chipotle. We always have to go to Chipotle. At least we did. Now I'm just waiting to hear how the federal criminal investigation into that untraceable norovirus incident turns out.......Oh, and the widespread E. Coli.

One of the highlights of the month was realizing that Jack and Micah's new school did not have a Halloween Carnival. Allan and I were both ecstatic we didn't have to attend an event where the main goal of the kids is to gorge on candy and collect horrible, cheap prizes that end up scattered all over the house for the next two months, while the main goal of the parents is to keep track of their young, vulnerable children among a crowd of masked strangers. Reason #83 I like this new school. 

We prepped for our ward's Trunk or Treat (my testimony of Trunk or Treat is not strong, by the way) with plans to meet Dad there.

Natey was a rather oversensitive triceratops that evening. 


Micah dressed up as a character from the soon-to-be-released Star Wars movie. A character we had no clue about. The costume was 50% off (because no one at our local Target had a clue about the character either).

Jack was a Storm Trooper. A dead Storm Trooper.


 Astrid was an owl. She never held still for an individual picture.


On Halloween night we drove around town hitting some friends' homes and then headed to my friend Julia's annual homemade doughnut party--where several people asked how I made my eye bloody for Halloween. 












1 comment:

Irish Cream said...

Now, if you could just plan that eye for EVERY year!
I LOVE reading your musings, and your quirky way with words that evoke a lot of pathos. And, I love seeing your beautiful children! Miss you guys so much!