I hesitantly put in "Buffy's Mix 2000" and gave it a listen. Let me explain my hesitance.
2000-2001 really should really be referred to as "the dark years." It was my second year at BYU. Fifteen hours a week were spent at T.G.I. Friday's showing people to their tables, handing them their menus, and explaining that the Jack Daniel's burger didn't actually have any booze in it. I lived in an exceedingly less-than-desirable locale. Three of my five roommates were horrible. One of them was dating the bass player from the now-thankfully-forgotten band Orgy. Another "modeled." I was a microbiology major. My diet consisted of Life cereal, Snelgrove's cookies and cream, and my (righteous) roommate's homemade snickerdoodles. I weighed 50 pounds more than I do today. I listened to a lot of Alanis Morissette. The creepiest guy in the ward was in love with me. I resorted to dating a guy who bleached a skunk stripe into his hair and wore a tiger-striped shirt (because he wasn't as creepy as the creepiest guy in the ward).
Oh, and I bought all my clothes at Shopko.
Indeed, these were dark, dark days.
However, yesterday when I cranked those tunes, I found myself gleefully belting out all the lyrics and dancing in my seat while my son snored away in his car seat. It's funny how even the darkest days don't seem so bad in retrospect. At least that is how it is for me. Maybe there were bright spots in 2000-2001 that I just don't remember. But the music does.


11 comments:
How sad to know that the "darkest" days of your life was the time that you met me...should I feel any personal responsibility for that?!?!?!
No, Becca. When I met you, things were starting to look up. ;-)
*Ahem* If I could spell I would have asked if you were at Friday's when Nolan worked there...
Molly--I don't think he was there. I worked there for about four months in 2000. Wasn't long. For good reasons.
That's funny, because I started working at Friday's in late April 2001 (I remember training during one of BYU's graduation days), but I don't remember you as a hostess. You probably quit right before finals week, right? You were also lucky that the hostesses didn't need to wear flair and dorky "fun" head wear. And let me guess...you made about 5.50 an hour?
I can remember Friday's vividly (as the only "decent" restaurant within walking distance from Helaman Halls). I'm glad you've moved onto bigger and better things (like making friends with people who are married to otolaryngologists =). It was so fun to see you and Jack!!!
Kent--I quit fall 2000. So we missed each other by about six months. I remember Allan saying you had worked there. When I was there you must have still been on your mission. And, yup, I'm pretty sure I made about $5.50 an hour. Worst. Job. Ever.
Although it is almost hard to believe, I am in love with this post. Love it!
Buffy, I love you! And we made it through those rough years :)
(But, I managed to repress memories of crazy roommates, and come to think of it, I've repressed ever knowing them at all--thanks for the reminder...) It's nice to know that life gets better as we age :)
I am giggling. Love it!
Post a Comment