Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I went on vacation, and you get...nothing.

It's official. I am completely unreliable when it comes to documenting anything memorable in our lives. When Allan and I went to Europe five years ago we only took about twenty pictures. And we aren't in any of them. Just some old buildings that no one would recognize. We just got back from a fabulous vacation in Utah where we saw both families, and I took NINE pictures--with no one but me, Jack, and Allan in them. Pitiful.

I am even worse at getting pictures developed. I have a lovely picture frame in our guest bathroom that has three empty slots. It has been hanging for a year now. My dad even gifted me Photoshop a few months ago--I'm sure my parents would appreciate seeing some evidence that I have used it more than a few times.

I hope to do better. I just feel like I have nothing to show or say these days. Life is pretty uneventful...

Actually, I know what's wrong. We got DirectTV and a DVR. That is really when blogging went out the window.

Provo was lovely. We saw most of the people we love best in this world. We were able to stop by some of the restaurants we still dream about. I stocked up on modest undertees (isn't that what every young mom does when they stop in Utah?). I ran a 5K without having run a single mile in the last four months. And Allan scoured the entire Wasatch Front for some size 13 hiking boots and a HUGE backpack.

We also saw Grandpa Welling for--unbeknownst to us--the last time. We paid him and Grandma a visit a few hours before he came down with pneumonia and went to the hospital. Our conversation was meaningful in the moment, and even more precious in retrospect. He was truly an amazing man by anyone's standards. And he knew that the Lord's standard is what matters most. You can read more about him here.

Allan and his brother, Brett, flew out for the funeral from Oakland, while Sarah and I stayed behind with the kids. I have a sliver of sunburn on my back to remind me of our visit to the waterpark (and the necessity of making sure to spray your ENTIRE back), and a pile of books Sarah graciously let me borrow. As expected after such a fun-filled weekend, Jack is yet again aware of how lame it is to be an only child.

But at least he has his magnifying glass to keep him busy:




5 comments:

Becky said...

Look Dad! Something Mysterious! I loved hearing that from Jack as he was peering at something through that magnifying glass!

I'm so glad you guys were able to come out and I look forward to the time when I'll be able to play with you more.

Post those pictures you took!

Irish Cream said...

It was so awesome to be together for those few days! I am glad that I snapped about 100 pictures of our 3-year-olds playing in the wash tub. There are some AWESOME shots there... and some great shots of the 2 of them at Canyon Glen getting into mischief. So, don't feel bad that you didn't take many pictures... I think Jack's Aunts and Papa made up for that :)

It was so awesome to see you, and makes me miss you even more! I'm hoping somebody will soon invent the blink-transporter so I can come visit for a few hours and sleep in my own bed that night. Wouldn't that be perfect? I guess Skype will have to alleviate the worst withdrawal pains for now.

JPI said...

If only Allan could have come to JPI basketball and the Orem High reunion it would have been a complete vacation.

G.G. Vandagriff said...

Our withdrawal is just as difficult as yours. When we are on our way home from the LDS writers' thing in Sandy, I want to stop at the church cannery with you and have you help me pick out food storage.
I loved the picture of Jack with the magnifying glass up to his eye!
Is he still finding mysterious things?

Kent said...

Did my testimony about DVR about a year ago influence your decision? I'm glad that I at least planted a seed, and that my missionary work reached somebody. Now maybe you'll be the person to convert hundreds of people to DVR and I won't feel like my testimony was worthless.

PS I love Mormon cultural jokes.