I have had enough of regrets. If I only stick to the areas where I am pretty sure I'll be able to perform at a level above average, I have a pretty boring 50+ years ahead of me.
I haven't really made it a secret that I want to be able to say that I am a runner. Not a mere recreational jogger, but a runner. I have been blessed with talents for which I am very thankful, but athleticism is not one of them--by any stretch of the imagination. I envy the people who can go out for an "easy" five-miler and come back looking fresh and energized. I envy my sister-in-law who just ran a 5k and placed respectably in her division while five months pregnant. I envy the people who power up the foothills around my parents' place looking as if they're having fun--not as if they want to die. I want to tell them (and sometimes do tell them) how much I want to do that.
Well, maybe I can. It's not too late, right? I am hoping that the act of publicizing my silly little wish will help me buck up when I inevitably want to call it quits and go back to my comfortable corner elliptical machine at 24-Hour Fitness.
Any advice from the masses? Not even necessarily about running, but about trying new things where you don't excel. How can I really stretch myself and make myself accountable?
Dazzle me! Inspire me! Help me really push myself.
5 comments:
Uhm...I'm not sure that I'll dazzle you, but this is what works for me. Let your competitive side come out. I am always competing against myself. If I'm on a treadmill at the gym, I look at the speed, distance, and time of the person next to me. I always make sure that I run faster and longer than them (make sure you get on next to someone that's reasonable to compete against). If I'm jogging outside, I clock each mile and make sure that I'm close to the same time (if not faster) and try to improve even just by a few seconds. Running hills... my favorite (ha!). I used to run the two hills directly west of Mt Timp Temple. Same thing... sprint up them each time beating your time. I found that I do better with hills when I just lengthen my stride, sprint, and hurry and get them over with. :) I don't know if it will help, but works for me. Have you been trying everything else? Just curious... I've been a complete slacker!
The only thing that got me through my half marathon was a little something I picked up from Calvin's dad (of Calvin & Hobbes):
It builds character.
Aimee--I KNEW you would have advice for me! I think one good thing would be if you moved close by and then you could be my training partner. Run that by Thad and see what he says. :-) I am a very competitive person--which I actually attribute to my reluctance in signing up for an actual race--and Allan has a fantastic Garmin which is helping me pace myself and track improvement. I'm definitely going to take your advice on hills and focus on just getting them over with.
Jet--I need some character-building. I just keep thinking about how proud I'd be if I did a half or full.
I have no advice, other than I did a half marathon once and never ran again. So I guess, just don't give up - keep running. I even enjoyed the accomplishment of the half I did. I want to do it again one day. I will - and that's a promise. :)
Buffy, you are so funny. Thanks for mentioning me in your blog.
Have fun running--that is why I go with Greg and ANdrew. It isn't that running is really fun for me. I am not going to run a marathon any time soon--if ever, but I do like to eat sweets so I guess I justify it by running in the morning. I try to eat healthy, though. I just want to have a body that keeps on ticking with me. It feels good to be healthy--that is my motivation.
Post a Comment